9.29.2005

My Squircle Obsession



Photo by formerly TaGurit.

Yes, I admit, I am a Squircaholic. WHAT?? you say. Yes, I'm addicted to squircling. SQUIRCLING?? you ask. What the heck is a squircle?

In short, it's a squared circle. :) Now, before we get off on an existential tangent trying to figure out just what "squared circle" really means, I'll tell you. It is simply, a perfect circle, contained within/framed by a perfect square. That's all.

At first, I thought - ok, what's the big deal? I totally didn't get why so many people were obsessed with this whole squircle thing. A circle in a square? C'mon! How difficult could that be? And how boring and common the shots probably are. Right? Well, partly. Yes, it's easy to create a squircle (though you'd be amazed at how many people in the group post photos that are nowhere near the stated guidelines) and yes, there are tons of manhole covers, mirrors, bowls, and balls but there's also all kinds of great unusual creative ones in there too! To be honest, it really just kind of hit me one day. I began to notice circles all around me, thinking "Hey, I bet that'd make a cool squircle" and stuff like that. And so began my obsession.

Now, I won't say it's an everyday thing - I'm not constantly taking photos of everything circular to crop a square around it. Nor am I particularly scouting for things which could fit the criteria (though I did for a little while at the beginning) - but there are times when the inspiration hits and I begin once again to see potential squircles all around me. Is there help for someone like me? Would I want/need help? Just because I go around snapping 10-15 shots of the same thing to get the circle "just right" does that mean I need intervention? ;) Nah... I'm not even close to the level some have reached - like the submissions by Leo L30: 2378 in all - and I bet he's got even more lurking on his home computer :) Now, that's impressive! I don't think I'll ever reach a spot in the top posters, but that's ok. I'm happy in my obscurity. I do it cuz I like it. And that's the way it should be. :)