3.21.2005

Flickr being Yahoo!'ed

GRRR! I have to be honest, even with all the massages and everything, I really really would rather have flickr stay exactly the way it is right now, than to sell out to Yahoo! I have no idea how much hard work they do at flickr (though I know it's alot) but selling to Yahoo!?? NOOOoooo.....

I have never liked Yahoo. A few years back, my USS Nevada (blue) family support group had a yahoo group, and to be a part of it you had to sign up with Yahoo. I thought, ok that's alright. But to sign up, you had to input your existing email address as an alternative, and after that the spam started FLOODING in!! I ended up getting so fed up, I started a new email. I've never gone back. I can't stand Yahoo! As alot of other flickrite bloggers have expressed, what's going to happen to our photos and groups? How much is flickr going to be infiltrated? Will I now get Yahoo spam to my email address I had to provide for flickr? If so, I'm outta there before you can sneeze! I have 2 email addys on my flickr account... what is Yahoo's privacy policy for that? Are they going to now provide those to outside companies? You know Yahoo, anything to make another buck in the fight to gain ground and catch up with Google (I so wish Google would've acquired flickr... they started up as just a little company too... they know where flickr is coming from and I think would work harder to keep the integrity and vision of Ludicorp than Yahoo will...) Please tell me this is a bad dream that I'll wake up from tomorrow...

If not... *sniff sniff :( .... I'll be watching sooo closely. They better not become Yahoor...

And what about my beloved Daily Zeitgeist? Will that now have Yahoo ads as well? *sigh... all the questions....

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous07:59

    Hi hi!

    Yahoo does get a bit agressive with their marketing, but they're not hopeless. You just have to go to thier opt out configuration right away. I have two email addresses associated with yahoo groups that have never gotten any spam. I just went and smacked down all their advertising very quickly. The address itself isn't even listed in their directory. I'm sure that's the source of some of the spam... Anyway. Yahoo has problems, but I've been a happy customer for YEARS. If you pay $20 a year, you can get disposable addresses to seporate the good from the bad, and that's been very effective as well.

    ReplyDelete