1.11.2005

A Day in My Life

Well, today was interesting. It all started about 3 am when I woke up to my older daughter crying in her room... usually I wait a minute or 2 to see if she just goes back to sleep, but I guess she had some urgency in her voice because all I remember is getting up to get her. She was really upset, and I think I smelled something in her bed, so I took her to my room. She definitely had gotten sick, I could smell it once I was back in my room. So I wiped her with some baby wipes, and I think I fell asleep for a few mins... cuz next thing I know she's getting sick all over me. I felt so bad for her, I don't think she's gotten sick like this before!
Once she was finished, we got into the shower to get washed up, and I woke up my husband long enough to be able to get the sheet off the bed. I don't think he even remembers what was going on. He's funny when he's sleepy; he tends to say things that make you go "huh?" and start talking about the most off the wall things... and he doesn't remember any of it. Frustrating sometimes, but mostly funny. At least I was able (after a bit of shaking) to wake him up; sometimes he's so out it's like he's unconscious. Or if he wakes up he practically jumps out of his skin. That kinda freaks me out.
Anyways, so Rose wanted to snuggle with Greg but couldn't get comfortable. And he was so out, that he didn't realize she was trying to lie down with him. She kept trying to get comfy but we stayed awake for at least another 2 hours... during which time she got sick twice more. Thankfully I'd gotten smart and kept a bowl nearby, but she hated that. Of course, getting sick was no fun either, poor girl was so shaky and upset.
Then Greg has to get up, to catch his ride. He's got duty today so one of his buddies picked him up. Duty days suck, he's gotta be outta the house about 6am to get to the boat in time. And knowing us, we never get to bed before midnight... although he's wont to fall asleep on the couch sometimes at 9pm or so. :) I try to get him to go up to bed but he says he'd rather be asleep on the couch to be near me... so sweet huh? Sucks too cuz I feel like I hardly saw him yesterday; he got home after 4:30 and the way things went... well, the way they've been going lately.
So he got up and Rose started again... but nothing. So once she was calmed down again, we finally fell asleep. Until Bryant woke up at 7:30 and we all got up. We went downstairs and everyone (but Rose) was hungry, so I put in a VeggieTale video for the kids, gave Bryant a yogurt smoothie (the ones by Stonyfield Farms are so yummy, and totally organic) and a baggie of Life, and fed Carlon. Rose kept asking me to hold her, so when I was done w/the baby and put her back in bed, I picked up Rose and we fell asleep to The Toy that Saved Christmas.
The rest of the day pretty much consisted of me alternately holding Rose, feeding Carlon, and telling Bryant to get dressed (he sat in his room for like 2 hours today, just looking at books and stuff... I'd have gotten more on his case- that usually doesn't happen- but for Rose and all). Thankfully my mom went ahead and took Bryant for the night, so that he could get some one-on-one, and I could manage Rose and Carlon. Not that I can't otherwise, but it's just nice for Bryant to get to be with my mom- they're really close- when Rose is really needy.
And Rose finally took a nap today, she was asleep this afternoon when my mom picked up Bryant. Then I finished with Carlon, and Rose woke up. That's kind of how it goes, see-saw with the girls alot.
Now they're playing on the floor, I think Rose needs to be changed, and it's definitely time for her to go to bed. She didn't eat much today (obviously) but tonight she had a couple crackers, a banana, and some juice. I haven't heard from Greg yet, he usually calls sometime on his duty day. Usually right before he goes to bed, so I don't get to really talk to him alot. Oh well. Such is life. I'm not sure how it's going to be this time with him gone. Things have been a little weird between us lately. Not sure if it's the stress of the Navy or what. At least now we have internet here so I don't have to go to my mom's anymore. That will help with her and my relationship. :) And I can check email more often... even though it's pretty sporadic with the silent service.
We had a really fun time the other night though, Greg and I. It started snowing Friday night, and I was hoping it'd continue all night, cuz it was really coming down. He had duty Sat. and I was (selfishly) hoping that the snow would prevent him from getting to the boat. It happens... though not very often. They were gone last year when the base got shut down for a few days. I remember hearing people in the middle of the night out playing in the snow (though technically "quiet time" is at 10pm on weekdays) and wishing he could be here to enjoy the snow with me. We've never really been in a snow together. So when it was coming down Friday, I took advantage and asked him to play in the snow with me. I tried to videotape a bit, but the batt. went dead... so I just have the video of my memory.
It was sweet, Greg being just like a little boy. His snowball aim though is dead-on. He always says he should be a sharpshooter because of his 20-10 vision.. well if his aim was like it was with snowballs... he 'bout knocked my glasses off! My right eyesocket was sore for ... well, it's still sore actually!
So we tossed a couple snowballs at each other, and threw this little foam football back and forth, and he threw some snowballs onto the carport, just to watch them get bigger as they rolled off (hehe, just another example of how guys and girls think so differently!) and we had fun. It was also really romantic... we kinda forgot all the other stuff that's been going on, and were able to be completely in the moment... it was nice. The kind of memories you revisit over and over when you're up late at night, and missing each other... and wishing for better days. I hope we can get things straight again. After this patrol, there'll be 3 yrs of shore duty. We'll see how things go when we no longer have duty every 3 days, and he gets off in the early afternoon every day. Oughta' be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment