4.09.2008

Flickr Launches Video!!!

When I first heard flickr was thinking about launching video, I was less than impressed. Like many others, I was afeared they would turn it into another incarnation of YouTube; or that the hordes who already upload *ahem* restricted content as "safe and public" would suddenly find a new playground for their less-than-family friendly video content. I was actually dreading it.

Then over time, the idea started to appeal to me more. A place I could upload the short videos I take (not very often, granted) of my kids outside or whatever. And then I got invited to take part in the secret beta testing phase and I was hooked. I've already found a ton of videos from the others who tested that I adore. And the idea that my husband (who is currently on deployment on a ship out in the Pacific somewhere) would get to watch videos of his children while he's gone - it was a dream come true.

Then I find out today he can't get flash player on the ship's computers, so bummer. :(

But anyway, now everyone *else* can see the videos, including his grandparents and other family members who live across the country, or my mom who lives across the water, or whomever I want to share them with!

Naturally there is a pretty big outcry going on in the Forum, where all sorts of things are being said, faster than I can keep up with. The regular doomsayers and "I'm leaving flickr right now as soon as I get my money back!!!" type of posts of course... but there are at least some sane people in there too. Not all of them are thrilled but at least they've got enough common sense to try to calm the hysteria of the others... though I don't know if it's exactly working. You know, when someone thinks the sky is falling...

Anyway, here is the very first video I uploaded to flickr. I hope you enjoy. :) It isn't very good quality, taken with my P&S back in '05. My daughter and husband having a "conversation" at Chuck E. Cheese's:



And a couple of my other favorite videos from around the flickrsphere:

Narcoleptic Cat - I think this is fast becoming the number 1 most popular flickr video so far. :D

I have a recorder! - a super cool pairing of lightplay, an adorable little one, and awesome editing. :)

Chicken - it's hilarity is it's pointlessness; I mean, it's just funny. Period. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment